Thursday, December 23, 2010

The Telephone Wait (Cody's Invisible dime)

A Very Short Story
A Telephone Wait
((Cody’s Invisible dime) (summer of ’81))



He come up to a telephone booth, attached onto a grocery store that was also a gas station, and pretended to drop a dime into the proper slot. I saw from his profile he looked serious, kind of, maybe a little forlorn as he did it, he was playing a half mile away from his home, an apartment building, on York Street, with his brother Shawn, and a few neighbourhood kids. His face was fair, and he did everything slowly as though he was thinking, if not uncertain of something.
But when I came to the corner in my car, stopped, rolled down the window, he was still standing at the outside phone booth attached onto the building, talking to someone, looking a wee concerned, this boy of nine-years old.
When I put my hand out the window to wave him over to the car, I knew he saw it from the corner of his eye.
He appeared as if to know I was going to be right where I was, and there I was when he fully turned about, calmly and ghostly surprised at the same time; if anything, it seemed to be a light form of insight he had.
“What’s the matter, Cody?” I asked as he came rushing to the side of my car window.
“Oh. I’m all right,” he commented, excited to see me, catching his breath.
“You get enough sleep. I’ll see you this weekend, if your mother lets me. Thought I’d go looking for you. So I drove around the neighbourhood.” Then we heisted, both smiling at one another, “What is it?” I asked him.
He hesitated, but his body movements told me he was trying to put some words together, looking up into the sky, and down at the ground, then eye level, not quite knowing how to explain it.
“Do you need something?” I asked.
He shook his head ‘No!’
“All right. If not, do you mind if I ask who you were talking to on the phone?” I remarked.
“You, dad!” He said, energetically, with a smile.
“Really?” I said.
“What did you ask?”
“For you to come visit me here.”
His face was now bright in wonderment, and merriment; there were bright areas under his eyes.
“Oh,” I said, what else could I say?
Cody stood still on alongside of the car a moment longer, he appeared somewhat detached from what had just happened.
“How do you feel, Cody?” I asked him (he couldn’t say amazed, but he looked it) (he had been pretending to call me on the phone, pretending to have dropped a dime into the phone slot, and all of a sudden I appeared. Coincidence, perhaps, but I doubt he thought so.)
I sat back a tinge, in my car seat, smiled, his little hands on the car door over the window slots, I could see his fingers twitching inside the car, as if he wanted to jump in, or open the door: perhaps, thinking I’d stay longer.
“Why don’t you try to go join your friends, I know your mother gets mad if she sees you talking to me.”
After a moment he said, to me, “Did you hear me talking dad?”
“It doesn’t matter,” I said, “someone did.”


Written 6-23-2009
Dedicated to that little boy

Spanish Version


Un Cuento muy Corto
Espera en el Teléfono
((La Moneda Invisible de Cody) (Verano de 1981))



Él se acercó a una cabina telefónica, que estaba junto a un supermercado donde también había un grifo de gasolina, y fingió poner una moneda en la respectiva ranura del teléfono. Lo vi de perfil, parecía serio, talvez un poco triste mientras hacía esto; él estaba jugando a ocho cuadras de su departamento, en la calle York, con su hermano Shawn y otros niños del vecindario. Él hacía todo esto lentamente mientras estaba pensando, si no vacilando en algo.
Pero cuando llegué a la esquina, y detuve mi carro bajando las ventanas, él todavía estaba parado afuera en la cabina telefónica, hablando con alguien, luciendo un poquito preocupado, este niño de nueve años de edad.
Cuando saqué mi mano afuera de la ventana del carro para saludarlo, supe que él me había visto por el rabillo de su ojo.
Parecía que él sabía que yo iba a estar justo donde estaba, y allí estaba cuando él se volteó totalmente, calmada y fantasmagóricamente sorprendido al mismo tiempo; si algo había, parecía que era una forma leve de perspicacia que él tenía.
“¿Qué pasa Cody?” pregunté mientras que él vino corriendo hacia el costado de mi carro.
“Ah, estoy bien”, él comentó, emocionado de verme, recuperando su respiración.
“Duerme suficientemente que te veré este fin de semana, si tu madre me deja. Pensé que iría a verte, por eso maneje alrededor del barrio.” Luego sonreímos el uno al otro, “¿Qué es esto?” le pregunté.
Él vaciló, pero los movimientos de su cuerpo me dijeron que él estaba tratando de encontrar las palabras, mirando hacia el cielo y hacia abajo, al suelo, luego levantó sus ojos, no sabiendo cómo explicar esto.
“¿Necesitas algo?” pregunté
Él movió su cabeza, “No”
“Esta bien, si no, te molestaría si pregunto con quién estabas hablando en el teléfono” recalqué.
“¡Contigo papi!” él dijo enérgicamente, con una sonrisa.
“¿De verdad?” dije.
“¿Qué pediste?”
“Que me vengas a visitar acá”.
Su cara ahora estaba brillando de asombro y alegría, había áreas brillantes debajo de sus ojos.
“Ah” dije, ¿qué más pude decir?
Cody estuvo parado inmóvil al lado del carro por un momento él parecía algo apartado de lo que acababa de suceder.
“¿Cómo te sientes Cody?” Le pregunté a él (él no pudo decir: asombrado; pero lo parecía) (él estaba fingiendo llamarme por el teléfono, fingió poner una moneda en la ranura del teléfono, y de repente me aparecí. ¿Coincidencia? Talvez, pero dudo que él lo pensara así)
Me recosté atrás un poquito, en mi asiento, sonreí, sus manitos en la puerta del carro sobre la abertura de la ventana, pude ver sus dedos un poco dentro del carro, como si quisiera saltar dentro, o abrir la puerta: talvez, pensando si yo me quedaría más tiempo.
“¿Porqué no tratas de unirte a tus amigos, yo sé que tu mamá se pone muy furiosa cuando te ve hablando conmigo”.
“Después de un momento él me dijo, “¿Me escuchaste hablando contigo papá?”
“Eso no importa” dije, “alguien lo hizo”.

Escrito el 23 de Junio del 2009
Dedicado a ese niño.