Wednesday, February 19, 2014

The Ghost of Collingswood


The dead, was it possible that the dead was dead and made alive in the form of an animating spirit—the soul?  As was such a case that took place in the dojo in San Francisco; I had experienced a ghost like figure, and forevermore never to forge. And logic was pointing the way to me on this subject, now with interest.
       As I think back 40-plus years, in such a case the person wouldn’t be an individual at all; but with some kind of astral body, an animated image. I was told back then, the dojo was haunted; despite the doubts, the outlook was brighter to me once I had moved into the dojo to live.
       I slept there going on three months, and often heard this rambling about the dojo in all hours of the night, I slept on a sofa, looking into the gym area. It was evident within these three months, that there was a strange likeness of a ghostly figure. How could this be, but it was. None of the Black Belts, would ever sleep in the dojo, not one, for this very reason, it had a ghostly reputation.
       I told the ghost one evening, as he walked by me, we’d have to share the dojo, because I was not leaving. There remained to me the horror of doubt, could he hurt me, I even challenged him, one night when the windows were banging and the chairs were banging and I couldn’t sleep, he was making quite a ruckus. Hence, that night doubt itself took a concrete image, I called to the Lord for assistance, and all went deadly silent: after a vast and impenetrable gloom had taken over me, but mentioning the Lord’s name, seemed to lighten up the darkness into a positive existence for me. I called him: “The Collingswood Ghost” for the dojo was on the street called, Collingswood.
       There were not really a possibility of relations between the ghost and me, nor could we change places with the other. There were within those three months, many suspicious circumstances to warrant his presence, and as belief became reality, my intelligence recognized the full possibility of this matter, and at 21-years old, my mind put all the strange incomprehensible matters which had whirled through my head into deeper thought. The Ghost wanted to be left alone for the most part. He didn’t want invaders, and that was exactly what I was to him.
       I suppose this one time I was antagonistic to the ghost, I wanted his attention, and I had no real weapons against this thing but truth, if indeed that counted. It must have known and understood, I was stubborn.
       Now that I look back at those far-off days, 1968-69, I perchance had only a passing knowledge of the danger I might have been in. I had told this story once to a woman from St. Paul, Minnesota, some ten years later, well learned in the art of sorcery, the occult, strange incomprehensible matters, dual existence, supernatural mysterious ways, and she told me, feeling compelled to speak, “You were lucky, you might have been swept through horrible possibilities; you really had reason to fear.”
       Perhaps the apparition, was of the lower sort, not the better, or more evil, who’s to say.
       My impression of the apparition was that it was a huge being, perhaps four hundred pounds, it made the wooden floor crackled as it walked by me, and it showed an indentation in the wood as it went from one step to the next, I could even visualize his food print as this took place, double my size. I suppose my female friend was thinking of what terrible steps the monster ghost might have taken to effect his wishes, had I not called out to the Lord. Nay, what would have been his wishes, we will never know, I think his ultimate purpose was as I said, to be left alone?  I was to a certain degree in some glorious enthusiasm, and to him, I was just a pest.
       Then and there, I was determined not to warn anybody of this, and to await, as well content as I could be in my ignorance, I felt sorry for the ghost; and when I left the dojo to go to another residence, when I was asked how my stay was, I’d simply say, “Nothing out of the ordinary.”

No: 1032/2-18-2014