Monday, November 7, 2011

Dragons Kept Watch (Bilingual: English and Spanish)

By Poet Laureate, Dr. Dennis L. Siluk






(A Student of Confucianism left China, for Argentina, then on to Peru)






Chapter One



I stepped off the ship. Glaring lights from Montevideo (Uruguay), it lay at anchor in the Rio de la Plata. Then after a week, I found my way to Buenos Aires, Argentina, the city was busy, with a European carefree illumination. In the country, I had come from, the cities lights were oil lit, and only for a portion of the night, likened to in the Dark Ages. I had come from 19th Century Manchuria (China, 1898) found my way to Shanghai. The ship was a passenger vessel. When it was being loaded with fish, meat and vegetables, I found a boxed-in corner, there I hid among all the crates, and took in the drifting smells. It was a large ship. All the ships that left China in those days were large to me.


It was late at night and the hold was dark, and it seemed to me, the ship was deserted, then I heard someone pacing aimlessly about, and he lit a lantern. A moment later, I heard steps behind me. I kept silent. Then my mind started wandering here and there, especially if I was to be arrested and sent back to China—if so, I would be imprisoned.


I had come from living at a Confucius Temple one with high and thick walls, difficult to escape from, but I had climbed them nonetheless, and made my escape. I was a student of Confucianism, and not in too good a standing with the Master who did not live up to analects of Confucius—his teachings, which I believed to be back then the art of reasoning by use of the mind upon the opinions of his pupils, whom he never listened to. Logic was not the core, rather thinking clearly and to the point, clarity and honesty of thought, and expression were. Anyhow, these were my first lessons by the Master. The objective for the student was for his speech from beginning to end, the whole thing to be understood; whereas too often philosophers miss this. You see when you know a thing, it is to hold onto it, that you know it and if not simply admit it: this is knowledge. Dimness of thought, and artificial inexactness of speech, this could not be accepted—it causes misfortune.


I had escaped the torments and torrents of the Mad Master of the temple. My mother had told me more than once, ‘Son, dragons kept watch over you at birth, and they still do.’ Thus, to this day I must say, those dragons are still keeping watch.


Now the man was just above me, looking down. He was a little thinner than I was and about my height.


“Are you Chinese?” he asked in Manchurian.


I shook my head yes, and kept my silence.



“Manchuria haw!”


I did not answer. I looked up at him; I knew he was no police officer, just a deckhand of some sort, who spoke Chinese very well.


“I’m not a night watchman,” the man said.


I believed him. He was wearing plain deckhand cloths, nothing fancy. I had papers but he did not ask for them. I saw him with indifference to his face. He looked as pathetic as I did, if not homeless, surely friendless.


“Do you want to go to South America?” the man asked.


I did not reply. He already knew I did.


He jumped down off the crate and kicked over one to sit on.



“Here,” said the man, reaching into his pocket “one ticket for the boat ride.”


I saw the ticket. I could read the writing only slightly in the shabby light of the lantern some twenty-feet away. I felt safer now.


“What is all this?” I questioned him in disbelief.


“You can have it,” said the man. “I got a job on the ship, I don’t need it anymore.”


I stared at the man, I understood English and French and a little German, he spoke in both Chinese and English at the same time; I figured that if he had wanted me arrested, he need not have gone through all this trouble with such a game.


“I haven’t any money left,” I told him, although it was not true, I had yen, perhaps fifty-dollars worth.


“I didn’t say I wanted to sell it,” replied the man.


I looked back at the ticket it was real, genuine.


He handed it to me without a word, just a smile.


“I don’t understand,” I commented.


“Well, there is one condition,” he said.


“Sure” I thought, here it comes.


“It’s a long voyage, and I don’t have any friends, I want you to be my friend, no other strings attached. You have to stop and greet me, say hello to me on deck.”


“You just want me for conversations?”


“Yes, until we arrive in Montevideo.”


“That’s all?”


“Yes, that is all!”


“You sure there is nothing else?”


“I’m sure.”


I looked at him disbelievingly. On the other hand, I knew folks like him and I, if we had too much solitude we would go crazy on such a long voyage. At the temple no one talked to me, the head monk was a thief, and he knew I knew it. Therefore, I knew this dread of silence, this void one can place upon another. Moreover, here we were, two strangers, one wanting to help the other, and his reward would be to become friends. I gave him a positive gesture and took the ticket, and found the room 212.

Chapter Two

Manuel Garcia looked at me. “I know the feeling, so you changed your name to Asunción Peñaloza, after the family you’ve lived with these past several years?”


I now got the jitters, and felt a tightening in my stomach.


“I want to know everything, why did the family you lived with tell you to leave?”


It appears to be a reproach, as if I had done wrong again, but I had not. However, I did not have a passport, and the detective knew it.


“It didn’t help,” I told the Buenos Aires, detective, “when the children of the family got married; they blamed me for everything that went wrong in that big house. For a few years, they were obsessed with the thought that their parents might leave me a great sum of money, because they had often confided in me.”



“It didn’t help in the long run I see. You knew their affairs too well.”


“Yes,” I said, adding, after I felt his human warmth again, and a lowered voice, I had gotten rid of that ugly feeling.


“I had to leave but I had no place to go. In addition, I did not want to go back to China, god forbid. And I knew the family was a powerful family in Argentina, so I left and just slept in the park these past few days.”


The detective looked at my papers, and then he handed them back to me.


“What did the children do, or say to make you leave?” he asked.


“‘ You got to stop sneaking about the house, checking out my father’s papers looking for his will,’ said the older brother at the dinner table to me once when I was working in the kitchen helping the cook, and serving them food.


“The sister smiled. ‘Oh yes, father, he must stop that romping about at night.’


“‘And exactly what were you looking for Asunción?’ said the father.



“‘No. I wasn’t looking for anything; I was in my room all those nights, every night.’



“Then the father stood up and left the table, as if I was defying him, not his children. Then it occurred to me, they were setting me up.”


“I was alone again. They avoided me as if I had been a thief. Moreover, I could not explain it to anyone, no one in the family would listen to me. Do you know what I mean?”


He nodded. “The world never looks worse than when you’re being set up, thinking you had friends.”


His eyes were devouring me; pupils dilated, with long, very long stares, rigid, as if he should or should not believe me. My insides were frantic. The officers at a nearby table stood up, looked across several desks, “Manuel, we’re going to lunch!” He nodded his head, as if to say okay.
“If I could only stay here,” I said, “I don’t feel a bit like going back to China.”

Chapter Three

The police held me over for the following day, and night. However, it was a hard night for me. I was afraid they would send me back to China. In the following afternoon, I was calmed down, and the same detective called me over to his desk.


“I’ve decided to let you go, are you familiar with the way to Peru?” he asked.


Actually, I felt the boarders were not all that guarded, nobody really wanted to get into Peru, so I figured. On the other hand, Buenos Aires had been my home for several years, but sleeping on benches, were no good, and the family that had employed me would only cause more trouble for me in the future. As I sat there, I was already planning my attempt to cross the boarders. I would have liked best to wait, but I assured Manuel I would leave that night, for fear that too long a stay in the city would attract attention.

I shall never forget that night; my body was alert, in every way. My sense were sharp, I was prepared for anything, without fear, and when I started my journey to cross the boarders into Bolivia and then into Lima, Peru, I felt as if I was crossing Manchuria all over again, into Shanghai. However, this would be my home, and I would never return to China or Argentina.
It was hot the first few nights in Lima, and I slept naked in the parks. The nights were black and very cool that way. In addition, nearby I would plunge into the river, and it struck me as symbolic of my past, washing away everything—I had felt like driftwood for so long, but not anymore. I dried myself, and got on my way looking for a job picking fruit. For a long while, I met no one. I worked until twilight, and started back up again at dawn, watching men and women, children—families meeting each other on the way back home after a twelve hour work day. Everything to me that was the real meaning of revulsion was behind me now. I would tell my story to my son Fidel,

…he in turn, would—in his old age, tell it to his son Augusto, and he to his daughter Rosa and her husband (son-in-law) a gringo from Minnesota, in the United States of America, and someday it would be retold, written down for posterity, hence, becoming history (as it is now).


No. 832 (10-24-2011) Historical Fiction; although, inspired by actual events
Original name “Driftwood’ changed to “Dragons Kept Watch”
Dedicated to Augusto Peñaloza’s grandfather



Spanish Version

Los Dragones Continúan Vigilando
(Un estudiante de Confucionismo dejó China, hacia Argentina, luego a Perú)

Capítulo Uno

Bajé del barco, había luces brillantes en Montevideo (Uruguay), anclamos en el Río de La Plata. Después de una semana, encontré la forma de llegar a Buenos Aires, Argentina—la ciudad era muy concurrida, con una iluminación europea libre. En el país del que vine, las luces de la ciudad eran encendidas con aceite y sólo por unas cuantas horas en la noche, similar a la Alta Edad Media. Yo vine de Manchuria del siglo XIX (China, 1898) había encontrado la forma de ir a Shanghai. El barco en el que vine era una nave de pasajeros. Cuando estaban cargándolo con pescado, carne y vegetales, encontré una esquina encerrada, allí me escondí entre las cajas y soporté los olores flotantes. Era un barco largo; para mí todos los barcos que salían de China, en aquellos días, eran largos.



Era muy de noche, la bodega estaba oscura y me parecía que el barco estaba desierto; luego oí a alguien caminar sin rumbo fijo y encender una linterna. Un momento más tarde, escuché pasos detrás de mí, yo me mantenía en silencio. Luego mi mente empezó a divagar de aquí para allá, especialmente si me iban a arrestar y enviarme de vuelta a China—si fuera así, sería encarcelado.


Yo había vivido en un templo de Confucio, uno con paredes altas y gruesas, difícil de escapar, pero, de todas formas, yo la había trepado, e hice mi escape. Era un estudiante de Confucionismo y no con buena reputación con el maestro, quien no vivía según las memorias de Confucio—según sus enseñanzas, que yo creía era en esos tiempos el arte de razonamiento usando la mente tras las opiniones de los pupilos, a quienes él nunca los escuchaba. La lógica no era lo principal, más bien el pensamiento claro y sobre el punto, claridad y honestidad de ideas y la expresión lo eran. De todos modos, éstas eran mis primeras lecciones por el maestro. El objetivo de los estudiantes era que su discurso entero, fuera entendido, desde el comienzo hasta el fin, lo que los filósofos muy frecuentemente omitían esto. Imprecisión de pensamiento e inexactitud artificial de discurso, no podía ser aceptado—esto causaba mala suerte.


Había escapado de los tormentos y torrentes del Maestro Loco del templo. Mi madre me había dicho más de una vez, “Hijo, los dragones te vigilaron al momento de tu nacimiento, y todavía lo hacen”. Así, en este día debo decir, aquellos dragones todavía se mantienen vigilando.

Ahora el hombre estaba justo arriba de mí, mirando abajo. Él era un poco más delgado que yo y casi de mi estatura.


¿Eres chino? Me preguntó en Manchurian.


Moví mi cabeza afirmativamente, y me mantuve en silencio.


“Manchurian, ¡aja!”


No respondí, lo miré; sabía que no era un policía, sólo una clase de marinero, quien hablaba muy bien el chino.


“No soy un vigilante nocturno”, el hombre dijo.


Yo le creí. Él usaba ropa simple de marinero, nada complicado. Yo tenía documentos, pero él no me los pidió. Lo miré con indiferencia a la cara. Él lucía tan patético como yo, sino desposeído, de seguro sin amigos.


“¿Quieres ir a Sudamérica?”, el hombre preguntó.


No le respondí. Él ya sabía que sí.


Él saltó hacia abajo fuera de la caja y pateó sobre una para sentarse encima.


“Aquí” dijo el hombre, metiendo la mano en su bolsillo: “un boleto para el viaje en el barco”.


“Vi el boleto, pude leer lo escrito sólo ligeramente con la poquita luz de la linterna a unos seis metros de distancia. Ahora me sentía seguro.


“¿Qué es todo esto?” Le pregunté incrédulo.


“Puedes quedarte con éste”, dijo el hombre. “Conseguí un trabajo en el barco, ya no lo necesito”.
Miré fijamente al hombre, yo entendía inglés y francés y un poco de alemán; él hablaba en chino e inglés al mismo tiempo; pensé que si quería arrestarme, él no necesitaba pasar por todo este problema con tal juego.


“No me queda dinero”, le dije, sin embargo no era cierto, yo tenía yenes, talvez valorados en cincuenta dólares americanos.


“No dije que lo quería vender” respondió el hombre.


Miré nuevamente al boleto, éste era real, genuino.


Él me lo entregó sin una palabra, sólo con una sonrisa.


“No entiendo”, comenté.
“Bien, hay una condición”, él dijo.
“Seguro”, pensé, “aquí viene”.


“Es un viaje largo, y no tengo amigos; quisiera que tú seas mi amigo, nada más, no hay otras condiciones. Tú tienes que detenerte y saludarme, visitarme en la cubierta”.


“¿Sólo me quieres para conversar?”
“Si. Hasta que lleguemos a Montevideo”.
“¿Eso es todo?”
“Si, eso es todo”.
“¿Estás seguro que no hay algo más?”
“Estoy seguro”.


Lo miré recelosamente. Por otra parte, conocía a gente como él y como yo, si teníamos mucha soledad nos volvíamos locos en viajes tan largos. En el templo nadie me hablaba, el monje superior era un ladrón, y él sabía que yo lo sabía. Consecuentemente, ya conocía de este silencio de horror, este vacío que uno puede poner sobre otro. Más aún, aquí estábamos dos extraños, uno tratando de ayudar al otro, y su recompensa sería hacernos amigos. Lo miré con un gesto positivo y tomé el boleto, y encontré el cuarto 212.

Capítulo Dos

Manuel García me miró. “Sé cómo te sientes. ¿Así que te cambiaste de nombre a Asunción Peñaloza, por la familia donde viviste estos pasados años?”


Empecé a temblar y ahora sentía una contracción en mi estómago.



“Quiero saberlo todo, ¿porqué la familia con la que vivías te pidió que te fueras?”


Parecía que era una reprimenda, como si hubiera hecho algo malo de nuevo, pero no lo había hecho. De todas formas, no tenía pasaporte y el detective sabía esto.


“No se pudo evitar” le dije al detective de Buenos Aires, “cuando los hijos de la familia se casaron; ellos me echaban la culpa por todo lo que salía mal en esa mansión. Por varios años, ellos estaban obsesionados con la idea de que sus padres talvez me dejarían una gran suma de dinero; porque ellos frecuentemente confiaban en mi”.


“Veo que a la larga esto no te ayudó. Tú conocías sus asuntos muy bien”.


“Si”, agregué, luego de haber sentido este calor humano de nuevo, y luego de oír una voz baja, me había deshecho de ese sentimiento feo.


“Tenía que irme pero no tenía lugar a dónde ir. Además, no quería volver a China, Dios no lo permita. Y yo sabía que la familia era muy influyente en Argentina, por eso salí y sólo dormía en los parques estos pasados días”.


El detective revisó mis documentos, y luego me los devolvió.


“¿Qué hicieron los hijos, o qué dijeron, que te hizo dejar la casa?” él preguntó.


“Cuando yo estaba ayudando al cocinero y sirviéndoles la comida, el hijo mayor me dijo: ‘Tienes que dejar de estar espiando en la casa, revisando los documentos de mi padre, buscando su testamento’”.


“Su hermana sonrió y dijo: ‘Oh, si papá, él debe dejar de husmear en las noches’”.



"Y exactamente qué estabas buscando Asunción", dijo el padre.


“No. Yo no he buscado nada; he estado en mi cuarto todas estas noches, cada noche”.



“Luego el padre se paró y abandonó la mesa, como si yo lo hubiera estado desafiando, no sus hijos. Luego se me ocurrió que ellos me estaban tendiendo una trampa. Estaba solo nuevamente; ellos evitaban hablarme como si hubiera sido un ladrón. Más aún, no podía explicar esto a nadie, nadie en la familia me escucharía. ¿Sabes a lo que me refiero?”


Él asintió. “El mundo nunca parece peor que cuando te están tendiendo una trampa, y tú piensas que tienes amigos”.



Sus ojos me devoraban; sus pupilas estaban dilatadas, con largas, muy largas miradas fijas, rígido, como si él quisiera creerme, o como si no debería creerme. Mis intestinos estaban revueltos. Los policías en una mesa cercana se pararon, miraron a través de varias mesas y dijeron: “Manuel, estamos yendo a almorzar”. Él movió su cabeza, como si para decir, ‘esta bien’.
“Si sólo pudiera quedarme aquí” dije, “no deseo ni un poquito de querer volver a China”.


Capítulo Tres

La policía me detuvo hasta la noche del siguiente día. De todas formas había sido una noche dura para mí. Estaba con miedo de que me regresaran a China. Al día siguiente, por la tarde, estaba más calmado, y el mismo detective me llamó a su escritorio.


“He decidido dejarte ir, ¿estás familiarizado con el camino a Perú?” él preguntó.


En realidad, sentía que las fronteras no estaban tan resguardadas, nadie realmente quería ir a Perú, eso pensaba. Por otra parte, Buenos Aires había sido mi hogar por muchos años, pero dormir en las bancas no era bueno, y la familia con la que yo había vivido sólo me causaría problemas en el futuro. Mientras estaba sentado allí, ya estaba planeando en cruzar las fronteras. Me hubiera gustado mejor esperar, pero le había asegurado a Manuel de que me iría esa noche, por temor a que estar por más tiempo en la ciudad podría llamar la atención.

Nunca olvidaré esa noche; mi cuerpo estaba alerta, en todas las formas. Mis sentidos eran claros, estaba preparado para todo, sin temores, y cuando empecé mi viaje para cruzar las fronteras hacia Bolivia y luego hacia Perú (a Lima la capital), sentí que estaba cruzando Manchuria todo de nuevo, hacia Shangai. Sin embargo, éste sería mi hogar y nunca regresaría a China o Argentina.


Las primeras noches en Lima, eran muy calurosas, y yo dormía desnudo en los parques; las noches eran oscuras y muy frescas de esa forma. Además, cerca, me zambulliría en el río, y esto se me pegaría como algo simbólico de mi pasado, llevándose todo—Me había sentido como una pieza de madera a la deriva en el océano por mucho tiempo, pero ya no. Me sequé, y me fui a buscar trabajo como recogedor de frutas. Por mucho tiempo no conocí a nadie; trabajaba hasta el crepúsculo y empezaba nuevamente en la madrugada, viendo a los hombres, mujeres y niños—familias— encontrarse uno con el otro en su camino a casa luego de doce horas de trabajo. Para mi era que todo el significado real de revulsión pertenecía ahora al pasado. Yo le contaría mi historia a mi hijo Fidel,


…él en su momento—en su vejez— le contaría a su hijo Augusto, y él a su hija Rosa y a su esposo (su yerno) un gringo de Minnesota, Estados Unidos, y algún día ésta sería recontada, escrita para la posteridad, así, volviéndose una historia (como lo es ahora).

Nro. 832 (24-Octubre-2011); Inspirado en la realidad.
Dedicado al abuelo de Augusto Peñaloza.